A beard transplant is an outpatient surgical procedure that can restore or add new hair follicles to facial areas where hair is missing, patchy, or thin.
The content has been reviewed for quality and accuracy to the best of our knowledge by Qunomedical and its Medical Board of Experts.
The cost of a beard transplant depends on what style of beard you wish to achieve and how many grafts you will need to achieve that style, and whether you combine it with any other treatments such as a hair transplant. Below are the starting prices of our partner clinics.
Similar to a hair transplant, beard transplants are mostly done using the FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) technique with local anesthesia. Individual hair follicles are harvested from the donor area around the back of the head and ears and then implanted to the beard area. If the donor area can not provide enough hair, then sometimes hair can also be harvested from the chest.
You will discuss your preferences and needs for your beard transplant with a specialist before your surgery. However, there are a few main stages that apply to all beard transplant procedures. Below is a step-by-step guide.
1. Initial consultation To find out if you are suitable for the procedure and receive an initial estimate of the number of grafts required to achieve your desired look, you can send a few pictures of your face and head (showing the front, left and right sides of your face, under your chin, and back of your head) for one of our doctors to review or go for an in-person consultation. You will be also asked questions regarding your overall health conditions, including:
This will allow the doctor to understand the underlying causes affecting your lack facial hair and what procedure would best work for you. This initial assessment will also indicate a cost estimate for your procedure.
2. Planning visit to the clinic Once you decide to go ahead with your beard transplant procedure, we help schedule the operation on the date you prefer. Surgeries typically start in the morning or early afternoon, so it is recommended to fly in the day before to rest properly before the operation.
3. On-site consultation with beard transplant surgeon You will discuss with your surgeon what coverage you want to achieve, what style of beard you wish to have, and he’ll also evaluate the quality and amount of hair in your donor area. Once you’ve decided, the doctor will draw a line that will mark the beginning of your new beard line.
4. Medical exams At the clinic, you will have physical and blood tests done to make sure you are in good health to start the procedure. General blood tests will also check for major infectious diseases to make sure you are healthy and sound to proceed with the treatment and to rule out any medical reasons that could be of any harm.
5. Preparation for surgery Once tests and drawing of the new beard line are done, you will receive local anesthesia for the donor area and beard area to be desensitized. With the FUE technique, the donor area is usually shaved down. If you are afraid of needles, don’t hesitate to let us know! We work with selected doctors who specialize in needle-free anesthesia (which usually comes with an additional charge).
6. FUE beard transplant procedure Once the anesthesia has taken effect, the surgeon will start surgery. Follicles are extracted manually one at the time and placed in a container with a storage solution that will maintain the follicles’ vitality.
After the extraction, the surgeon will use microblades and fine needles (between 0.6mm and 1.0mm in diameter) to insert the grafts into the target sites, angling the grafts in a consistent pattern for a natural look and density.
The whole procedure can last 3 to 8 hours and is performed on the same day.
7. Post-op check up After the procedure (usually the day after surgery), you will meet with the surgeon for a post-operative check up and will receive precise instructions to follow during your post-operative time.
First 3 to 4 days
You can resume light, routine activities after 1 day but your face will have noticeable signs of treatment for the first 3 to 4 days. The donor area should fully heal.
Days 4 to 6
You should keep the recipient beard area completely dry for the first 5 days. Small crusts that surround each follicle will typically fall off around this time.
Weeks 2 to 3
During this time, 90% of the transplanted hairs will fall out. This is a normal process, occurring in the majority of beard transplant cases.
This phenomenon is known as “shock loss”. Shock loss is a natural, transient process and occurs because the follicles experience trauma when they are moved.
Months 2 to 6
The hairs will start to grow back after 2-3 months. The hair will then get thicker and denser with each hair cycle. You can shave again after 6 months.
The cost of a beard transplant depends on several factors, including the country where you choose to do your treatment, the style of beard you wish to achieve, how many grafts you will need to achieve that style, and if treatment is combined with any other treatments, such as a hair transplant.
Beard Transplant is offered in 6 countries
3 Reviews in All Countries
October 19, 2019| Istanbul Aesthetic Center, Turkey
The medical staff introduced themselves and explained clearly the role and responsibilities of each, a Q&A informal session and they answered all the questions I asked with clarifying the whole process as well.
The pick up was on time, the driver was using WhatsApp for a smooth communication which worked very well. The medical staff introduced themselves and explained clearly the role and responsibilities of each, a Q&A informal session and they answered all the questions I asked with clarifying the whole process as well. Always a translator was there because one of two nurses did not speak English (fluent translator speaking English and Arabic )...I started at 09:00 am , the consultation was about 30mins, anesthesia using a pen injector and sometimes syringes was a bit painful but only during the injection and honestly we can cope with it. Then the graft was about 2hours for my beard : 3000 follicules I guess. At the end , consultation post graft, list of medicines to take between antibiotics, pain killers , corticosteroids to reduce the oedema . In total I spent two days : first on the operation and the second follow up and cleaning up. They listen, understand, restive and following up
February 27, 2018| Liv Hospital Ulus Istanbul, Turkey
There's nothing to criticize. Price/performance absolutely fair, on-site procedure with multilingual staff in the clinic, pre-post treatment professional and satisfactory.
Except for the logistics (had to wait at the airport about 30-45 min. for the pick-up service...) there is nothing to criticize. Price/performance absolutely fair, on-site procedure with multilingual staff in the clinic, pre-post treatment professional and satisfactory. Communication with Qunomedical prior to treatment was flawless and based on continuous exchange. Only after the treatment I was a little disappointed, because I was no longer contacted by the counsellor
December 12, 2016| Istanbul Florence Nightingale Hospital, Turkey
Their doctors are perfectionists!
It was an awesome experience through out the whole trip. One word to describe them is that their doctors are perfectionists! Thanks to my new hair, I am now very confident approaching people at work, which I couldn't in the past years. You all are very helpful!